Lake Rules at Blackthorn Fishery
Fishing and lake viewing is strictly by appointment only.
Fishing and lake viewing is strictly by appointment only
Anglers fish at Blackthorn Fishery entirely at their own risk. The owners do not accept any liability for injury to anglers or their guests, or theft or damage to anglers property
Only anglers / guests that have booked are allowed on site. Unauthorised visitors to the venue will be asked to leave.
2 Rods March-October; 3 Rods November-February
No Litter please. Take all litter home with you – this includes cigarette ends. Lodge guests have bins provided.
No maggots or bait to be stored in lodges. Large lockable storage containers are provided on your swim, which can also accommodate fishing equipment and luggage.
No fish are to be introduced or taken off site, all fish remain the property of Blackthorn Fishery. Removal of fish is deemed as theft and will become a police matter. CCTV footage will be used as evidence. Please do not be aggrieved if asked to have your vehicle inspected
Due to the close proximity of lodges to the waters edge, we cannot accept bookings for children under 12 years.
Care of fish
Rods must not be left unattended in the water (i.e. You must not be more than 1 swim away)
All anglers must use the unhooking mats, weigh slings, & landing nets provided by the fishery. This stops disease being spread from other fisheries on contaminated fish care equipment. Under no circumstances can any other nets, retainers/slings or mats be brought on site.
Fish must always be transported from unhooking mats back to the water in slings provided (not in your arms)
When photographing fish please do so over an unhooking mat kneeling down/not standing
- Please use carp antiseptic on hook holds or lifted scales e.g. Klin-ik
- Barbless hooks only. Flattened/filed barbs are not allowed. Rigs will be checked
- No Keep nets, landing nets or sacks allowed on site
- Minimum strength line 15lb
- No Zig fishing
- No braided main line (Braided hook link is fine)
- No shelf life boilies, freezer bait boilies only please
- No nuts of any sort to be used – fine as hookbait
- No long curved shanked hooks fox series 5, long shank nailers etc.
- No fixed leads
- Rigs must be safe with the lead able to eject if the fish gets snagged
- Korda style lead clips are acceptable, but the tail rubber must not be forced down to tight to prevent the lead ejecting.
- Helisafe lead drop off system for chods/helicopter rig preffered.
Care and respect for other anglers
- Radios are allowed but noise must be kept to a minimum so that neighbouring anglers are not disturbed
- No drugs, swimming or fires
- Alcohol: We do not like the idea of anyone who might be in contact with our fish being under the influence of alcohol, so only drinking in moderation will be acceptable.
- No bait boats or dinghies. Do not use the boat on site
- Be courteous to others, antisocial behaviour will not be tolerated
- Please talk to other anglers, there is more than enough water for everyone
Most common complaints by other anglers
Floodlights! 1 million candle power torches are not necessary, standard torches or head torches are more than enough
When setting rods on alarms, please keep beeping to a minimum
For most us, the above rules are common practice and don’t restrict our fishing experience. However, the venues’ Bailiffs have the right to remove any angler or guest immediately who fails to comply with any listed rule.
Blackthorn Fishery accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to equipment or vehicles whilst on the premises.
An interesting video blog on how to handle carp safely. We would expect many of these techniques to be understood by anglers visiting Blackthorn.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions for Booking Blackthorn Lodge
The Booking form is to be accompanied by a deposit of 50% of the total cost of the holiday. The balance must be paid at least 6 weeks prior to the start of your holiday.
The Hirer agrees:
- Anglers fish at Blackthorn Fishery at their own risk. The owners do not accept any liability for injury to anglers or their guests, or theft or damage to anglers’ property.
- To pay for any breakages, losses or damage to the property before departure. To take all reasonable and proper care of the property including furniture, fixtures and fittings and leave it in a clean and tidy condition at the end of the holiday. Particular attention must be given to the kitchen, ensuring that all equipment, appliances and utensils are left clean and tidy. The Hirer is responsible for any additional cleaning costs incurred. The cost of any damage or breakages must be paid to Blackthorn fishery or their representative.
- Blackthorn fishery or their representative shall be allowed access to the accommodation at any reasonable time during the holiday for any reason they may deem fit.
- To permit the owners reasonable access to the property, to carry out any urgent maintenance.
- Not to sublet or share the property except with persons nominated when booking.
- All children, young people or other vulnerable people must be supervised at all times.
- Only anglers and visitors who have booked are allowed on the property. Unauthorised visitors will be asked to leave.
If the Hirer wishes to cancel the booking he/she should advise Blackthorn Fishery immediately.
If the Owners are informed of cancellation prior to the 3 month period before arrival, we will refund the deposit paid in full.
If cancellation occurs between 3 months and 6 weeks prior to arrival, we will refund 50% of the deposit paid.
The final balance is required 6 weeks before your holiday after which unfortunately no refunds are offered on cancellation. We may be able to rearrange your holiday depending on how much notice and the time of year, we will also endeavor to re-sell a cancelled holiday and refund as much as possible, but this not guaranteed.
Winter Bookings/Lake Frozen
If the lake is frozen we will endeavor to let you know before you arrive, but it is sensible to contact us before you set off if the weather has been particularly cold. If the lake is frozen during the period you have booked you have two options:
- You can choose to come to Blackthorn Fishery to enjoy a winter’s break away from home. But as you will be unable to fish we will refund the price of the fishing (£25/day).
- If you choose to cancel we will issue you with a full refund.
Cancellation/Travel Insurance Cover
Insurers will reimburse your irrecoverable travel or accommodation charges if you or a member of your party is unable to take your holiday as arranged due to any cause beyond your control, occurring after payment of the premium.
We suggest that you contact your usual Insurance Agent and take out an appropriate policy. It remains the hirer’s responsibility to arrange their insurance cover.
Non-availability of Property – REFUNDS
If, for any reason beyond the Owner’s control, the property is not available on the dates booked, all monies paid in advance will be refunded in full as follows:
- For guests already in residence whom are asked to leave early, we will refund the cost of the remaining nights of your holiday on a pro-rata basis.
- For guests who have not arrived and have to have their holiday cancelled by Blackthorn Fishery, we will contact you as soon as possible to advise you of this and discuss the possible options going forward. If the decision is made to cancel the holiday, you will receive a full refund.
- In both instances we would invite you to rebook at Blackthorn fishery at a later date at a 50% discounted rate.
The Hirer shall have no further claims against the Owner.
Caring for your Safety
All visitors and guests visit Blackthorn Fishery strictly at their own risk. No liability for any accidents or injuries will be accepted.
Every reasonable effort has been made to indicate possible safety hazards in the property description. However, it is the hirer’s responsibility (particularly parents with young children or other vulnerable people) to inspect the property and grounds immediately on arrival and note any possible hazards.
Check the layout of your holiday property so that in an emergency you can get out quickly and easily.
Please read and respect any warning/hazard/restriction notices that the owners have placed in the property. Young and vulnerable people should be protected from all appliances, chemicals, and combustible materials at all times.
The Hirer should pay particular attention to the working farm adjacent to the property and ensure that they or their guests do not trespass onto the farm without the prior permission of the farm owner.
Smoking is expressly prohibited within the Lodges and the Log Cabin.
Fire assembly point is in the car park.
Arrival and Departure Times
Blackthorn Lodges/Log Cabin are available after 2.00 pm on the day of arrival and must be vacated by 10.00am on the day of departure.
We provide bed linen and the beds are fully made up and ready for your arrival. Towels are provided in the Lodges, but not in the Original Log Cabin.
Every effort has been made to ensure that you have an enjoyable and memorable holiday. If however, you have any cause for complaint we are anxious that remedial action is taken as soon as possible.
It is essential that you contact the Owner or their representatives immediately if any problem arises so that it can be speedily resolved. Discussion with the Owner or their representative whilst you are in residence usually enables shortcomings to be rectified straight away. If you cannot make contact with the Owner or their representative or if the complaint is not rectified to your satisfaction please write to the address below to arrive at Blackthorn Fishery within 7 days of your departure date.
Please help us to help you by following this procedure which is designed to effect the speediest possible investigation and rectification of complaints. We cannot subsequently consider any complaints or enter into any related correspondence unless this procedure has been followed.
We, or our representatives, will leave the key in the property and give you time to settle in before welcoming you to Blackthorn Fishery.
Commitment to Quality
As an established family run business, the owners work to provide you with quality accommodation, and to assist you with your holiday plans once you have arrived.
Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the descriptions/photographs are accurate and all statements by the Owners are made in the honest belief that they are accurate at the time. However, all distances are approximate and facilities may be altered or withdrawn for reasons outside the control of the owner for which we cannot accept responsibility.
We will notify you of any major amendments to the booking at the earliest possible opportunity thereafter.
All information is given in good faith but the Owners makes no warranties as to such information (or any part of it) as ongoing improvements may mean that the particulars become incorrect or incomplete.
Blackthorn Fishery are not liable to the Hirers or third parties for any loss or damage arising from breach of contract, negligence, mis-representation or otherwise.
Blackthorn Fishery reserve the right to implement Force Majore and therefore is not liable for circumstances caused by conditions beyond its control, including natural disasters, riots, strikes, acts of terrorism, sanitary disruption, civil unrest, war, restrictions by local authorities.
Confidentiality and privacy of the individual are very important to us. We do not share any data we collect with any other parties.
What information do we collect and how do we use it? Blackthorn Fishery gathers information from the completed booking form. We keep a copy of all correspondence between ourselves, solely for the purpose of enabling our primary business activities.
Please note that your personal information may also be used by us to occasionally notify you about any new services and special offers we think you’ll find valuable. If you would rather not receive this information please write to us below, or let us know during your holiday.